Friday, March 2, 2012

[chicken: Shredded Chicken Casserole]


I'm not a casserole girl ... I mean, I like them - but I rarely make them.  Why?  Mainly because they're high-fat, high-calorie ... a heart attack waiting to happen.  But tonight I was wanting something cozy and something different with the chicken breasts I had thawed today.  I found this recipe online and made some changes to come up with this ... it was GOOD.   Next time?  I would try adding some finely chopped broccoli ... just for fun. *wink* 
Shredded Chicken Casserole
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup crushed Vegetable Breton crackers
1 cup sour cream
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions
Place the chicken breasts into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until the chicken breasts are no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Drain the water, then shred the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the melted butter & crackers; set aside.
- Mix the sour cream and cream of chicken soup in a bowl; spoon half of the soup mixture into a 9x9-inch baking dish (I line my with foil for easy clean-up).
-  Add the shredded chicken, then pour the remaining half of the soup mixture on top. 
- Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese; then top with the cracker mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbly, about 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment