Friday, April 25, 2014

[ Chocolate Quinoa & Honey Mini Muffins ]


Please excuse my lack-of-manicure - but these are TOO amazing to not capture right now.  They are my "glory-hallelujah" - with no flour, no refined sugar ... and pure yumminess that completely hides any trace of "health".  TRUE. 

There's been a recipe that's been ALL over my FB newsfeed.  And then I tried a taste at my friend's place and was completely won over.  But when I went to make it today, I realized I didn't have coconut sugar (or organic cane sugar) - so I gave my attempt at using honey instead.  THIS terrified me.  Because if it didn't work, it'd be such a waste.  My cooking teacher in high school told me that baking is an exact science - and that's always intimidated me from trying to change recipes. 

I did a little reading, and altered the dry ingredient amount for the liquid honey ... and BOOM - hit that one right out of the park ...  

Also - I used mini muffin tins, and this recipe  is actually for a double-layered cake.  But who cares?  My kids are going to lose their minds when these show up in their lunch boxes next week ... 

Chocolate Quinoa & Honey Mini Muffins

2 cups cooked quinoa*
1/8 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or preferred milk)
4 whole eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Earth Balance, melted (or butter)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
3/4 cup honey
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:  

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F 
2. spray muffin tins with coconut oil, or line with parchment 
3. In a food processor or blender, combine the eggs, coconut milk (or preferred milk) and vanilla extract then blend for ten seconds to combine.
4. Add the cooked and cooled quinoa along with the melted and cooled butter and coconut oil  then blend until completely smooth, about thirty seconds to one minute.  Add honey, mix again.
5. Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl cocoa powder,  baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
6. Add the wet ingredients in the blender to the bowl with the dry and mix together until well-combined.
7. Spoon into muffin tins.
8. Cook for 18-20minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment