Saturday, February 4, 2012
[Blistered Red Pepper Soup]
This is one of my hubby's faves ... it takes a while, but it's worth it.
Blistered Red Pepper Soup
4 large red peppers
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp sherry
salt/pepper to taste
**added cream at the end is optional**
- cut peppers in thirds, remove seeds and place cut side down on a cookie sheet.
- broil until skins are blackened and puffed.
- place in a paper bag to steam.
- meanwhile, melt butter and saute onions and garlic until soft.
- removed cooled peppers from bag and peel off skins.
- cut into chunks and add to onions/garlic.
- cook for 2-3 min.
- add broth, cover and simmer.
- add sherry.
- in a blender, whirl 1/3 of the mixture at a time until smooth (strain)
- return to pot, and stir in 1-2cups of half and half or whipping cream **optional**
- season with salt/pepper.