Saturday, February 4, 2012

[French Onion Soup Au Gratin]


I remember the first time I had French Onion soup ... and I realized that it was amazing.  But there are a couple of secrets to it ... one, you need to slow cook the onions (covered) for about 45minutes as they caramelize.  At least that's how I like it.  Two, you need to use good Sherry.  Need I say more.

French Onion Soup Au Gratin

4 large onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
4 - 10oz cans of bee broth (so, 40oz)
1/2 cup dry sherry
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
french baguette
grated mozzarella cheese

Directions:

- in a large saucepan, cook onions in butter on low heat until caramelized.
- add bee broth, sherry, worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil.
- pour into individual ovenproof bowls.
- place a slice of toasted baguette in each.
- sprinkle with mozzarella.
- place under broiler and heat until cheese bubbles.
- serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment