I remember the first time I had French Onion soup ... and I realized that it was amazing. But there are a couple of secrets to it ... one, you need to slow cook the onions (covered) for about 45minutes as they caramelize. At least that's how I like it. Two, you need to use good Sherry. Need I say more.
French Onion Soup Au Gratin
4 large onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
4 - 10oz cans of bee broth (so, 40oz)
1/2 cup dry sherry
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
grated mozzarella cheese
- in a large saucepan, cook onions in butter on low heat until caramelized.
- add bee broth, sherry, worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil.
- pour into individual ovenproof bowls.
- place a slice of toasted baguette in each.
- sprinkle with mozzarella.
- place under broiler and heat until cheese bubbles.
- serves 6