For the last 20 years, we've attended the annual Friends Reunion. Debbie ALWAYS brings these caramel squares to the Friday night social ... and we line up, hoping to steal more than our share. She gave me the recipe and I've never made them, but today - on this cozy Saturday afternoon - it was the perfect thing to try. My own IPhone pic ... I promise I only ate half the missing piece.
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
¾ cup brown sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp soda
¾ cup butter
1. Heat oven to 350F.
2. Cut butter into dry ingredients until crumbly.
3. Press half mixture into prepared pan (9x13), and bake for 5 minutes.
1 cup chocolate chips
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
4. Sprinkle over partially baked base.
32 caramel candies
1/2cup evaporated milk
5. Melt third layer ingredients in a double boiler.
6. Pour over 2nd layer.
7. Top with remainder of crumb mixture from 1st layer.
8. Bake an additional 20-25minutes.
* start by preparing the 3rd layer first, as it you can complete the first two while it's melting. Plus - it takes a while to unwrap all of the caramels *grin*.