Friday, February 7, 2014

[Tawn's Chicken + Rice Soup.]


I offered to bring dinner to some family friends who have had a rough week, which is always tricky. What do they like?  Allergies?  Kid's preferences?  Plus - trying to make it as convenient as possible with little clean up is difficult too.  They wouldn't be home when I dropped it off - and may be home late from the hospital ... meaning - dinner HAD to be ready in completion for them when they got there, as far as I was concerned.  This is what I came up with ... yup.  This is my IPhone pic of what it actually looks like *grin*.

Tawn's Chicken and Rice Soup - serves 8-10

2 large carrots
2 stalks of celery
½ large onion
2 tbsp butter
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

1. dice carrots, celery and onion - sauté with butter in a LARGE pot.
2. add chicken
3. cook on high heat.

12 cups chicken broth
2 small tins of tomato paste
1 ½ cups of rice (I happened to use jasmine)

4. add broth and paste ... stir well.
5. add rice

4 tbsp worchestershire sauce (I'm kinda guessing here ...)
1 tbsp chill powder
2 tsp dried thyme
3 bay leaves
salt and pepper

6.  add worchesershire and spices and simmer on low until rice is cooked.

Now.  I actually used 2 cups of rice and it was less of a soup, more of a stew.  Still really yummy - but that's why I'm guessing at 1 ½ cups of rice when I write this ... 

I tried a bowl for lunch as it will feed the masses - just to make sure it was ok.  It. Was. Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment