2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp OR ½ cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1 egg, beaten
½-¾ cup cream
- Heat the oven to 450F
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and 2 tbsp of the sugar.
- Cut in the butter with a knife/fork/pastry blender. The butter should be broken down into tiny pieces. You can use your fingers to help break up the butter.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl, then add it in to the flour mixture, along with ½ cup of the cream. Mix everything together well. If the mixture is a bit sticky, add a tbsp of flour. If it is too dry, add a tbsp of cream.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 1 or 2 times.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a circle about ¾ inch thick, then cut into wedges like a pizza, or into smaller circles.
- Place the wedges onto the baking sheet and brush the top of each scone with some cream and the remaining sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for 9-11min, or until the scones are a light golden brown.
- Best served warm.