I changed the regular flour to spelt, and it makes it nuttier and crunchier. Mmmm.
SPELT FLOUR BISCOTTI
3 free range eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil ( I know, I know ... )
1 cup organic granulated cane sugar (like the way that sounds more healthy? I do ...)
2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds (or slivers ...)
2 1/2 cups spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F, lightly grease and flour a large cookie sheet
- Beat eggs and oil; add sugar and extract - continue beating for 5 minutes until thick and pale.
- Fold in almonds
- sift flour & baking powder (spelt is hard to sift - I skipped this step, and just mixed well). Stir into egg mixture using a wooden spoon.
- Shape doug into 2 logs (3" by 10"). With a WET spatula, flatten & shape.
- Bake 25 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and LOWER oven temp to 300F.
- Cool logs for 10 min. With a serrated knife cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Lay slices flat, and bake an additional 25-35 min (until crisp, crisp, crisp and dry, dry, dry)
- Store in an airtight container.